Sunday, July 27, 2014

Salvation Through Confession

Prayer is a miracle of grace.  The sinner that I am has no right to approach the throne of God.  God's eyes are too pure to look upon sin.  Therefore we know that before our most basic requests are heard in heaven, we have been cleansed.  If my conscience is condemned but the Lord hears my prayer, then I am not condemned before God.  This cleansing occurs in the new birth when the precious blood of Jesus is applied to my soul (John 3:5-8) and I receive the Spirit of adoption whereby I cry Abba, Father (Rom 8:15).  As David remarked, blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered (Rom 4:7).  Through the gospel life and immortality are brought to light (2 Tim 1:10).  The consistent message of the gospel is Jesus Christ; He was delivered for our transgressions and raised for our justification (Rom 4:25).  Therefore to believe the gospel is to believe that I am justified by the sacrifice of Jesus, and in that confession I will not be ashamed (Rom 10:6-11).  In summary, I stand just before God through the imputed righteousness of Christ; I cleanse my conscience from guilt by confessing that Jesus is Lord and believing that God raised Him from the dead.  In these acts stand two salvations that I have received; the first without any obedience or response by me, and the second by my belief is utterly dependent upon the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment