Thursday, July 31, 2014

Mama Teaches the Love of Jesus

The most powerful force in the world is the love of Christ and its constraining influence.  I heard Elder Mark Green preach on 2 Cor. 5:14,15 Sunday before last and have been blessed to consider those things throughout the week.  For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:  I rejoice to know a Savior who loved me enough to die in my stead. And as a necessary consequence of Christ's death, all of his children died represented in him. And that He died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him who died for them, and rose again.  That they which live do so necessarily as represented in Christ when he rose from the grave.  And we who live by the regeneration of the Spirit are now exhorted to not live unto ourselves.  The exhortation is because although our life is a necessary consequence of the Lord's work, us living unto Christ is a condition based on our obedience. 
The sermon he preached on Sunday is the same sermon Mama has been preaching everyday I've known her.  She cooked for, cared for, watched over, and educated seven kids 24/7.  She didn't balance her kids with her career; she didn't seek ways to get a chance to pursue hobbies or entertainment for herself, but her joy was and is full.  It is because she loved us more than herself.  Love constrained her.  She is a living picture of Christ's love that I can see and feel, and that's how I know it is powerful.  It lifts people above what is normally expected and gives them pleasure in humility and obedience.
The gospel brings life and immortality to light by pointing to the unconditional love of Jesus (2 Tim 1:10) and witnesses to the righteousness of faith which is in us (Rom 10:9).  Therefore I can confess that God raised Jesus from the dead which means I am justified (Rom 4:25) before and irrespective of my choice and will.  Often the objection is raised to my faith: "If that were true, then we could live any way we wanted..." My response is: "Why do you not live how you want? Are you motivated by love of self or of Christ?"
Jesus removed the motivation of fear (Rom 8:15; 1 John 4:18).  The true gospel of Christ sets free the captive and gives rest to the weary.  The only way it can do that is by pointing to Jesus and proclaiming the full and efficacious work of our victorious Redeemer.  It should be no wonder I often drive three hours on a Sunday to hear the gospel.  It's because I don't want to hear a message that ends with "Jesus 'loves' everyone but we need you to donate your money that we can attempt to direct a few more souls to heaven."  If redemption wasn't complete on the cross (John 19:30; Heb 10:14), then I would be like weeping Mary (John 20:15).  I am not comforted by a message that portrays the love of Christ as placing the eternal destiny of His beloved on the uncertain shoulders of men. What an impossible burden.
Faith and hope shall pass away when their purpose is fulfilled, but love will be perfected in us.  When I know Him as I am known, then I'll love Him as I am loved. (1 Cor 13:12,13)

1 comment: