Friday, November 23, 2012

Week 3/40

Another busy week has passed. I had a productive week and a wonderful Thanksgiving. I have so much to be thankful for, I wish I returned my thanks better. I am thankful to all my wonderful family and dear friends who, though far away from me, are near in my thoughts and prayers. Thankfully I have more work to do than I possibly have time for. Racing deadlines sure makes time go by fast!

The Word of God is a light, pointing out the truth in the darkness. I am thankful to have that witness to guide me in good ways with a good end. Faith is the only way I can be sure it is a good end. Without faith we would just do whatever we felt like and wish for a pleasant outcome. A friend told me that God didn't intend on us knowing for sure if we would end up in heaven and that it wasn't important whether we are saved or not. I can agree that our own destiny isn't the reason that we serve God, or that the most important thing isn't where we will end up. But I can't disagree more with the belief that God didn't provide us certainty in our destination. Jesus himself said that in his Father's house are many mansions and that he will return and take us to where he is (John 14:3). It was important to Jesus for us to know. John wrote in I John 5:13 that he wrote so we would know that we have eternal life. It was important to John for us to know. The apostle Peter said that we by not living according to the Word of God forget that our sins are purged, but that living by the Word we make our calling and election sure (II Peter 1:9-10), and again in II Peter 3:12-14, we look for and haste unto the coming of the day of God, that according to his promise we find new heavens and a new earth wherein dwelleth righteousness. It was important to Peter that we be sure. I am thankful for a blessed hope that is an anchor both sure and steadfast for my soul (Heb 6:19). God bless you all.
Thanksgiving turkey in the wardroom. Delicious.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment