Tuesday, June 18, 2013

New Boss

I have a new department head. I reported to my previous department head for the first fifteen months of my Navy career. Now he is moving on to his next duty station and I have a new boss. It's funny how we start to love people and things just because they are familiar. I could wear myself out by listing traits of his I admire, because he is a good officer. But that's not even close to the reason it hurts me to see him go. Change brings some kind of pain; I love the familiar. I loved him because I had learned from him, because I was used to him and his expectations, and because through shared trials and victories we earned each others' trust.
I am excited, too, that I have a new DH. Even if he turns out to be half the officer my first DH is, there are still perspectives and attributes of my new DH that I can learn from and grow by. Change is not always welcome, but it should cause me to refocus and make me better and stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment